There’s nothing like leisurely lunching on a picnic blanket with hungry friends and family in the summer! Whether it is on a sun-kissed beach or a secretive spot in favourite park, these simple ideas will not fail your friends’ (or crush’s 😉 ) expectations.
All of the following recipes have been designed to serve 6 people. Feel free to adjust the recipes according to the number of friends you are picnicking with!
1. Homemade Lemonade: Nothing beats a cool bottle of homemade lemonade in a hot summer day
900ml cold water (or 450 ml cold water and 450 sparkling water if preferred)
120ml hot water
6 unwaxed lemons
120 g caster sugar
60 ml agave nectar (can be replaced by honey or caster sugar)
a handful of fresh mint leaves (optional)
slices of lemon or lime (optional)
1. Juice and zest (some of the) lemons.
2. Mix sugar and hot water in a large mixing bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add lemon juice, zest, agave nectar and sparkling water into the mixture.
4. Serve with mint or slices of lemon and lime after refrigerating for at least 2 hours
2. Homemade Blueberry Jam: Fresh berries to go with a picnic-must-have baguette!
400g caster sugar
3 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs gelatin powder
20 ml hot water
1. Heat lemon juice, blueberries and sugar in a saucepan using low heat until the berries become moist.
2. Turn the heat up until boiled, then using medium heat, simmer for about 20 minutes, removing all foam during the process.
3. Mix gelatin powder and water in a separate bowl until the powder has dissolved.
4. Add the gelatin mixture into the blueberry mixture and pour into a glass jar while hot.
3. Summer Potato Salad: A perfect picnic is not complete until a salad is served!
4 large potatoes
1. Peel potatoes and cut them into cubes. Boil with water in a medium size saucepan until soft.
2. Place eggs into the saucepan with water to boil for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Remove eggs and potatoes from water after they’ve been cooked and set aside to cool.
4. Remove shell from eggs. Chop eggs, lettuce and tomatoes into bite sized bits.
5. Mix mayonnaise with cooled potatoes.
6. Serve by layering everything in a way you prefer.
4. Fruit Salad: A combination of good taste and health in no time
500g Pineapple (fresh or canned)
1 can of Nata De Coconut
500g Corn (shucked or canned)
Thousand Island Salad Sauce (optional)
1. Dice pineapple, apples and cucumber.
2. Mix all ingrediants in a salad bowl.
3. Serve with salad sauce after refrigerated
And viola, a picnic is ready. Take your picnic blanket out and enjoy!